Launch of new online course on Violence against Women
and the Role of Religion
Violence against women continues to be one of the most prevalent human right violations in the world and during the COVID-19 pandemic, the problem only escalated. Violence against women has severe negative implications for women’s development and possibilities, and it is one of the key drivers in keeping women in poverty.
CKU has in cooperation with Danner, a specialised Danish national and international organisation in the field of violence against women, and Stellensbosch University’s unit for Religion and Development research, developed an online course on” Religion and Violence against women”.
The course consists of three modules: "Understanding Violence", "Working with violence" and "The role of religion in violence against women".
The course defines what violence is, what consequences it has for women, and how children witnessing violence are affected. The course also introduces the international legal framework that safeguards women’s rights. Furthermore, the training describes how to help and meet a survivor.
With the course you get analytic tools to map pathways for survivors through the system in the local context. Finally, the course gives insight in the role that religion and religious actors play in legitimising and preventing violence.
The course is targeted at practitioners in the global south that work with VaW, and provides knowledge and concrete tools in the work with VaW.
The course will be officially launched on September 12th, 2022, at an online event with speakers from Center for Church-based Development (CKU), Danner, and Stellenbosch University.
- Welcome and introduction to the online course by Annika Bach, MEAL Coordinator, CKU.
- Global perspectives on VaW by Winnie Alim, director of Danner’s Knowledge Centre.
- Consequences of violence in and how to support a survivor by Anne Zacho Møller, Training Manager, Danner.
- The role of religion and religious actors in preventing VaW by Elisabeth Le Roux, Research Director, Unit for Religion and Development Research, Stellenbosch University.
- Wrap up and practical information by Annika Bach, MEAL Coordinator, CKU.
When: Monday, 12th of September
Time: 10-12:00 CEST
Zoom link: https://us06web.zoom.us/j/85212577433